Pages

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Pete’s New Haven Style Apizza

I am a pizza lover; always have been and always will be.  So I was pretty excited when my sister suggested we get pizza from Pete’s New Haven Style Apizza for our Saturday night get together at her place. 

I have walked by Pete’s Claredon location a handful of times and have always been curious what’s unique about New Haven style pizza?  The Internet tells me that New Haven style pizza is a Neapolitan pizza crust topped with oregano, tomato sauce, and a little bit of grated pecorino romano cheese, no mozzarella..  These pizza were originally baked in coal-fired ovens but are no made in brick or high temperature gas ovens.

My sister suggested a handful of pizza that all sounded amazing.  We ended up selecting the Metro North, a white pizza with slow roasted pork, house-cured pancetta, ricotta, caramelized onions, thyme, and extra virgin olive oil.

01-13-2013 001

She also ordered a vegetarian calzone.  It was made with ricotta, mozzarella, tomato, basil, and other seasonal ingredients.  My one of my pieces had some asparagus.

01-13-2013 003  

The pizza smelled and tasted fantastic.  The crust was nicely chewy and flavorful.  You could taste the olive oil and a bit of salt.  I really liked how the sweetness of ricotta balanced the pork and pancetta on the pie. 

The calzone was also very good, the mix of mozzarella and ricotta was wonderfully cheesy and a touch sweet.  The only downside, the end piece I had was low on cheese a was subsequently a little too chewy.

My sister  sent me home with leftovers that I ended heating up today for lunch.  I placed the slices in a metal pan, then tightly covered the pan with aluminum foil.  Ten minutes at 350 degrees resulted in hot delicious pizza that was not dried out.

If you live in the D.C. area and love Neapolitan style pizza, you should check Pete’s out.  I plan to make a trip to their Claredon location next time I want to go out for a pizza date night with Dave.                  

No comments:

Post a Comment