Pages

Monday, July 15, 2013

Union Market

I went to Union Market for the first time this weekend.  My friend Rachel suggested visiting and her suggestions are always great so I knew I was in for something good.

The recently revitalized Union Market, located near Gallaudet University on 5th Street NE, started out as Centre Market.  Located where the National Archives stands today, Centre Market was the largest market in D.C.  When preparations for the Archives  started In 1931, the vendors re-located to Union Terminal Market in Northeast.  After the city banned the outdoor sale of meat and eggs in 1962, the market lost foot traffic and became a center for wholesale operations until the late 1980's when said operations moved to the suburbs.

Today the market has numerous artisan vendors and eateries.  I started my afternoon with some empanadas from DC Empanadas, the veggie was my favorite.  Stuffed with curry and potatoes, the empanada was very similar to a samosa.  Holy cow do I love samosas!

The other food vendor I visited was Buffalo & Bergen, a  classic New York style soda fountain.  Yes, they had egg creams, and I had a chocolate one in honor of my mother.  For those not in the know,  an egg cream is a beverage consisting of milk, soda water, and vanilla or chocolate syrup. 
   
union market

After the consumption of delicious food and drink I got down to the business of browsing and shopping.  It is a good thing that Dave and I drove to the market because we came home with a new cutting board, a baby gift for a friend, a 6 pack of D.C Brau, a local beer, a watermelon, a jar of pickles, a bag of Ras el hanout, a Moroccan spice blend, and a loaf of challah, egg bread.  

07-15-2013 018

Next time I visit, I plan to check out the Rappahannock Oyster Co. and Dolcezza Gelato.

Union Market is open 11 to 8 Wednesday through Friday and 8 to 8 Saturday and Sunday.

1 comment:

  1. I love DC Empanadas! I used to eat at their food truck all the time when I worked downtown. I'll have to check them out at the market!

    ReplyDelete