Pages

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Astro Doughnuts and Fried Chicken

Yesterday, on my last day of vacation, I went and checked out the decadent doughnuts at Astro Doughnuts and Fried Chicken, 1308 G St. NW.  I first heard about Astro while skimming the Washington Post.  The food writers went in search of the best doughnuts in D.C. and Astro's Creme Brulee and PB and J took first and third.

When I first looked into visiting Astro, the shop was only open on weekdays (7:30 to 5:30) but has since started serving on Saturday (9 to 3), hooray!!!  Astro's doughnut selection varies by the day but select favorites are available daily.

Dave and I sampled three different doughnuts: the Creme Brulee, the PB and J, and the Brooklyn Blackout.  The first two were filled yeast doughnuts and the latter a cake doughnut.  All the doughnuts were fresh and made from high-quality ingredients.  No greasy aftertaste with these babies.  Of the three, the Brooklyn Blackout was my favorite.  It was wonderfully chocolaty and soft without being overly dense, totally sublime.  Dave favored the Creme Brulee; he loves doughnuts with vanilla custard.

2013-07-10 09.52.50

Astro has no seating so you take your doughnuts to go.  We were going to enjoy our doughnuts in nearby Lafayette Square, but rain forced us to take refuge in a Starbucks. 

I definitely recommend a trip to Astro if you are going to treat yourself to a doughnut.  They are worthy of the splurge.

What is your favorite doughnut or doughnut shop?  Share your thoughts in the comments.





1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the tip! This place is right next to where I work, but I didn't know whether to try it. Now I will!

    ReplyDelete